Sunday, March 13, 2011

It Happened

Well People, it's happened, the inevitable, the thing we've been waiting for, for 13 years. The event that has set me aback and forcing me to grow up. Time waits for no one and this one is beginning to come to some harsh realization....


Raquel had applied to three colleges, accepted to all three and today, casually, almost nonchalantly she just happened to mention that she's made up her mind and "oh yeah mom, I accepted to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, school begins Sept 19th".

I knew this was coming, she said she had to think about it for a while. One school was 30 minutes away, another, an 8 hour drive up north, way up north and the 3rd, on the coast of California, about a 4 hour drive. We didn't push her, we listened to her pros and cons on all of them and I figured it would take her a while to make up her mind, being that deciding on what kind of sandwich she should make is a major decision.

I was thrown, caught off balance and now, my head is spinning. It's happening and now that it's real, this summer is gonna go by like lightning and I'm thinkin'...should I be doing something? I am totally depending on friends and family....and that includes you all.
I know some of you have gone through this and I could use a few pointers....so...enlighten me, scold me, tell me, encourage me...do what you want...I'm pretty sure I'll survive, but it doesn't feel like it right now.....I'm Just Sayin'


7 comments:

  1. I say... "Congratulations!" Mine are grown and live close, but I hardly see 3 of them. They do have a way of growing up! You'll do just fine, after all, you've raised her right. Trust that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bunny -- you will be just fine. You have your work and your hobbies to keep you going. Our children are meant to spread their wings and fly! You are so blessed to have a daughter who knows exactly what she wants and where she is going. I have a 15 year old boy who is drowning in hormones. :) Have a marvelous Monday! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter went to school 4 hours away from us. When we dropped her off I cried all the way home. an empty nest is hard. But It is also amazing to watch your child grow into a young woman to see them learning and growing. It will be fine and you will be close if you are now. Just relax and let her take the lead.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will be just fine. Empty nest is not a bad word.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just think what a great excuse it will be to take one of the prettiest drives to one of the prettiest places in California..at least in SoCal..and if you want something to keep your hands busy, the last time I was in SLO there was the most wonderful little bead shop-after two hours my Mom (I was in my 40's at the time) had to drag me out of there..
    Getting creative is wonderful therapy for any kind of grief, and that is what you are experiencing..take your perceived loss out on something creative..it will do you a world of good, bunny♥hugs♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bunny!!!!

    That IS scary...now...didn't I make you feel much better :) No but I really do feel for you & all the emotions you must be having right now! I will try to remember to keep your family in my prayers & make sure you get some really special things on the calender for this summer. Sending Love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son went to school three hours away. Once a month, I cam down, stayed in a hotel, and we went to a movie, did some grocery shopping, and I'd leave minus a hundred bucks or so. :-) It was difficult when he left, but it was so rewarding to learn that he made sure his bed was made and his place straightened up just before I came!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete

Go 'head...say it already!