Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Love in the Produce Dept


It's not what your thinking or what I think your thinking...let me explain.

I just got back from my local market and as I was casually strolling in the Produce Dept minding my own beeswax, I hear from behind me, "Oh Miss, excuse me, Miss", ok, I know this person isn't referring to me as I have been called a Ma'am for a few years now and btw, I dislike it very much as I don't quite see myself as a "Ma'am, anyways...I ignore it and start rifling through the bananas when someone taps me on my shoulder, I turn around and it's an elderly lady, one that I would call....a ma'am. She says, "Excuse me Miss, but are you buying lettuce?"as she pulls out bit and pieces of paper from her purse. I'm thinking to myself, there must be a recall or a deadly plague associated with the lettuce and she's alerting me to it. Then it dawns on me....she's looking for a coupon as she says," Oh, I just know I have a coupon for lettuce", yup, that's how I knew, I don't need a house to fall on me..... And before I could say anything (insert shock) she finds it and says, "here it is, Iceberg lettuce", "Oh no!", I respond, "I have Romaine, but I need to tell you that I love you". Ok, she's kinda startled and giggles a little and before she can run away from me I tell her, "first of all, that was very sweet of you to offer one of your coupons and second of all and most importantly...you called me Miss...lol, you just made my day".

And as we parted ways, there in the produce Dept, for a split second I was a Miss and it felt good and I don't care if she couldn't see or that she was an elderly Ma'am or even if she called all females Miss. I'm Just Sayin







10 comments:

  1. It's nice when a simple act of kindness can bring a smile!

    (... and I won't even say, a miss is as good as a mile)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you would hate me. I call everyone Ma'am. Young and old. I spose I reaped what I seed last nite at school when the kid behind me called me sir.

    Have a nice Nite Missy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwwwww, how sweet!

    I don't like being called Ma'am either....pffffffft!

    Love,
    LuLu~*xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well miss that was nice of her for sure.
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cute...and coupons for lettuce? Wow..we have no coupons where we are from for any veggies or fruit...

    ReplyDelete
  6. how sweet is that! awwwww. I was call ma'am a few days ago at the dr. office and I about slapped the person. I kinda yelled don't call me ma'am...I think she got the message!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet encounter.

    One of the teachers at school who is from Louisiana and is in her late 20's or early 30's always calls me ma'am and I've told her repeatedly that she needs to stop doing that because it is making me feel really old! She says it is the way she was raised and she can't help herself. :/

    Have a great weekend. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am SOOO with you on this! When someone calls me ma'am I feel completely insulted.

    And you don't look like a Ma'am as far as I'm concerned either! HMPH!

    It's more acceptable to use ma'am in the South. Kids are taught at a young age that it respectful. I'd rather be disrespected. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well Ms Bunny I hope you keep smiling through out the whole weekend.
    Glad she made your day. Sweet!
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes indeed! I too love it when people think (or pretend to think) that I am younger than I am. Can't help but make my day a bit brighter. I'll take that kind of love in the produce dept. any day! See you later, Ma'am, I mean Miss!

    ReplyDelete

Go 'head...say it already!