Sunday, February 14, 2010

Vintage Aprons



I just love to wear aprons when I'm in the kitchen. I think they look stylish and for me, they are a must, as I am very messy and I usually have half of what I'm making all over me. I collect old vintage ones with rick a rack and see thru sheer fabric. I been given them over the years and I keep them safe in my kitchen china cabinet. I even have one from my husbands grandmother who brought it over from Austria. So in attempt to be creative, I ventured to JoAnn's Fabrics and looked at Apron patterns. WOW! I haven't bought a pattern in roughly 15 years as I kinda make up my own.
These suckers are expensive...anywhere between $10 and $15 for one. Fortunately for me, I spied one on a clearance rack for $2.99. Although it's only the half Apron, I figured I can improvise and add the top part on my own. I'm in the middle of another project right now and will get to this when I find some fabric that I like. I can't seem to find something that vaguely looks vintage.

Here's some of my favs...


I'll call this the Gypsy Apron...
Cocktails anyone?

I actually have something similar to this...





















perfect for Spring Cleaning...



...and my favorite


so...next time you wanna doll yourself up in the kitchen or where ever, remember...

...I'm just sayin'

11 comments:

  1. I'm with you, I love wearing an apron when I cook although I now realize that's what I was missing this afternoon when I ended up with cocoa powder down my jeans, lol! It's insane how much patterns are, ugh!

    So, yeah... I haven't been here in ages... sorry! I haven't been anywhere in ages though, lol! I hope you're doing great, hugs!♥♥♥

    Ok, I'm off to figure out what's going on here on your sidebar... lol! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bunny dahling......you looked splendid at the Cinderella ball last night and your paper slippers are magical! Aren't those awesome? I love paper anything. If you love paper shoes with little buttons, check out my Ruben's sister's blog, FĂȘte et Fleur; she makes the most beautiful paper shoes with little buttons or rhinestones. I love your post. My mom had the cutest pink organza apron and had it tucked away in the dining room hutch and brought it out when guests came over. This was way back in the early 60s when she used to dress up when we had guests. I love your style!!!

    Have a great week, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bunny I am an apron junkie also and have two like your favorites. If you manage to add the top to that pattern, please post how you did it, I would really like to try it.
    Can't wait to see your finished apron.
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Add me as one more Vintage Apron Junkie.

    I have some my mother made for herself and me. I don't wear the vintage ones to cook in, but I have a good size collection of new ones that I do wear.

    Talk to you soon ;)
    Bunny Jean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't you domestic darlin! I wear an apron too sometimes because I am also a bit messy when really cooking. I have to have one with a top. I mean after all why only keep half of you clean? Have a great week. Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eeeeeeeeeeek! I love aprons! Actually, I have an obsession with them. I always wear one when I am creating :) I wish I knew how to sew because there are so many cute patterns out there. I can't wait to see your apron! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your pattern.

    I still say we were separated at birth.

    LuLu♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would not have guessed you like aprons. And you sew! Can't wait to see what you come up with! Your blog look has changed yet again. Lovely! I'm gonna do a green theme when March rolls around -- which will be sooner than we think. Yikes how the days are flying! Have a great day. Blessings, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh girl you know I love these aprons too.
    And I know what you mean about looking for the vintage fabric. I had a hard time finding what I wanted at Christmas when I was making the retro Christmas apron for my friend.
    Have fun looking.
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still have a few that were my moms. One is so old and the material has thinned so much that I won't use it. I love the aprons in the pattern, makes me want to do some sewing. I hadn't sewed anything for quite a few years until I thought it was time to teach my girls, since they don't teach sewing in school anymore. We made a few bag purses and hemmed some pants. Next thing i know Karina tells her friends at school they can do a sewing project for a class grade and I get a house full of 8th graders a la classroom. First day on the project I wanted to throw them all out and they wanted me to do the project...yea, right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gee, Bunny. Your apron photos are swell! I especially adore the gypsy apron. Kinda zippy! Hopefully, you'll post a photo of your creation soon. ~ Angela

    ReplyDelete

Go 'head...say it already!