Monday, July 27, 2009

The man at the Gas Station...



As we pulled into the gas station, we both noticed a man standing in the middle of the pump lanes. Just standing there. He was tall, lean and very elderly. He was looking back and forth, kinda like he was looking for something. As we pulled along side a pump we watched him. He took off his hat and scratched his head still seeking something. I mentioned to Eric that this man may have Alzheimers or perhaps he needs help. He walked over to a car that was on the other side of where we were and again he stood there. Just when Eric was about to ask him if he needed help, a women walked up to him, probably his wife, as she was a little elderly too. Eric pumped the gas as I waited in the car and I watched the man. He attempted to take the nozzle from the pump, but his wife ended up doing that task for him, she handed him the nozzle but he had a hard time guiding it to where it was suppose to go, so, she guided his hands. He stood there and I could tell he was a bit frail because he shook a little and every movement was slow and methodical. Why was I watching his every move and why was I so concerned about him? Eric got back in the car and we were quite for a while before I said "I feel so sad for that man", "Why" Eric replied, 'I pictured him as a young viral healthy man with a family and a life ahead of him and now he can't even put gas in his car" and then it happened....I started crying and I was the one driving. I don't know why, I didn't know him and it's not that time of the month. It just hit me. Needless to say, Eric was surprised, he asked if I wanted him to drive and if I was OK. He told me that the man would be alright and that he obviously had his wife to help him and probably had family too...but I can't help thinking of the people who don't have any one to help them. I hope there will be people around to help me when I'm old...better yet, I hope I let them.

1 comment:

  1. You are so sweet to have been concerned about that man....I would have done the same thing too. You obviously have a heart of gold :)

    Love,
    LuLu~*xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Go 'head...say it already!